The companies that meet one of the three following criteria may be exempted from payment.
- It generated, directly or indirectly, one or several materials whose total weight is ≤ 1 metric tonne in the reference year
- It generated revenue, income or sales valued at ≤ $1M in the reference year
For retailers: having only one point of purchase, which has less than 929 square meters that is not operated as a franchise or banner or group (the size limit of 929 m2 was introduced with the 2018 Schedule of Contributions).
The exemption must be confirmed for each Schedule of Contributions in the ECO-D online reporting system.
Certain companies are exempt from paying a contribution for those containers and packaging for which they already have obligations to ensure the recovery and reclamation of said materials.
- Companies that are already required under extended producer responsibility regulations to take measures or contribute financially toward measures to recover or reclaim containers and packaging (e.g. oil and paint cans)
- Companies already required under a deposit system to take measures or contribute financially toward measures to recover or reclaim containers or packaging (e.g. beer and soft drink non-refillable containers)
- Companies that are able to establish that they participate directly in another system to recover and reclaim containers or packaging that operated on an established and regular basis in Québec, (e.g. refillable beer bottles, pesticide containers for agricultural use)
- The exemption must be confirmed for each Schedule of Contributions in the ECO-D online reporting system.
- You may be required to report the secondary and tertiary packaging included with the containers and packaging. For example, packaging that is not recovered through the deposit system, such as the plastic or cardboard used to package beer and soda cans and bottles, is designated and must therefore be reported. Refer to the section on excluded materials for more information. If you have any questions, contact the Company Services team.
- Cardboard boxes returned to the retail outlet must be deducted from the calculations.