With extended producer responsibility, companies who already contribute to curbside recycling will be given the mandate to oversee the system in partnership with municipalities, in order to target recycling 100% of collection bin materials as locally as possible.
Five success factors for a transformed and efficient curbside recycling system
In order to pull Québec out of the recycling crisis and ensure that the system is efficient and effective, for the last 5 years, ÉEQ has been developing concrete solutions based on transparency and accountability mechanisms:
- A new legal and regulatory framework that entrusts companies who market containers, packaging and printed matter with the management of the system.
- Make using eco-designed, recycled and recyclable materials the norm.
- Certify the quality and traceability of materials.
- Ensure that packaged products are recovered and recycled.
- Foster the development of local markets.
1 System diagnostics in collaboration with all participants.
2 Entry into force of the new legislative and regulatory framework
3 Implementation of Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR)